Recipe: 10-Minute Orange-Cranberry Oatmeal with Cardamom
ADVERTISEMENT Advertise with us
Oatmeal is great for a breakfast or suhur that is healthy and keeps you full for longer. This recipe is fast and easy.
- It only takes 10 minutes to make.
- Use freshly squeezed or low pasteurized orange juice for better flavor
- A 1/8 tsp of ground cardamom can be used in place of a whole pod
- For a richer oatmeal, add a pat of butter
Total Time: 10 min
Prep: 1 min
Cook: 9 min
Yield: 2 servings
1 cup rolled oats (old fashioned)
1 cup milk
1 cup orange juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried cranberries
1 cardamom pod
1 tablespoon sliced or slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
Pat of butter (optional)
1. In a medium pot, bring the oats, milk, orange juice, and cardamom pod to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and let the mixture simmer until the mixture thickens and a rubber spatula clears a path when scrapped along the bottom of the pan, about 5 minutes.
2. Once the mixture is thickened, remove the pot from the heat, and add the salt, brown sugar, and dried cranberries. Cover and let rest for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, toast the almonds on a small plate or in a bowl in the microwave in 30 to 15 second intervals until sizzling and lightly browned.
3. Remove the cardamom pod. Add the butter if using and stir to combine. Transfer the rested oatmeal to bowls. Top with nuts if using, and serve immediately.